A patient asked for some help with packing her bags to ensure she had everything for labour.
Our post on “The Hospital Bag” covers the essential items you need to consider.
In addition to that list, specific to St Vincent’s Private Delivery Suite here are some extra things to know when when packing your bags for labour:
- We have gel hot packs on hand in delivery suite, but we don’t recommend wheat packs as they tend to get too hot. Women in labour have a decreased sensation to heat due to hormonal changes. Wheat packs can actually cause minor burns.
- Pillows are plentiful – there is no need to bring your own.
- We can provide electric oil burners, but you need to provide your own oil.
- Birth pools are not to be brought into the hospital, but many women use the shower often during their labour.
- Food and fluid is provided, but we only recommend fluids to laboring women as they do not digest food while in labour, therefore will often vomit after eating.
- You may bring in icy poles.
- Breast pumps and kits are provided in the postnatal area, so wait to see if you really need these items before you purchase any costly equipment.
Once you have booked in to the hospital, if you have any questions on what to bring you can give the midwives a call.