St Vincent’s Private Hospital Melbourne is in Victoria, Australia. We have a proud tradition of caring for all patients. It is a tradition backed up by modern technology and expertise along with the best medical and personal care.
St Vincent’s Private Hospital Melbourne has a very long history of looking after people, starting right back in the 19th century.
The Sisters of Charity were founded by Mary Aikenhead. Mary was born in Ireland in 1787. She established the Sisters of Charity in 1815.
In 1833, Mary sent three sisters to the Hospitalières de St. Thomas in Paris to learn about hospital administration and she established the first St Vincent’s Hospital in Dublin in 1835.
Mary was asked to send Sisters of Charity from Ireland to help women convicts sent to Australia. Five volunteered and after a long journey on the Francis Spaight, they arrived in Sydney in 1838.
The five Sisters lived at Parramatta and visited the Female Factory where many women convicts were imprisoned. The Sisters’ main focus was religious instruction and care of the sick poor.
St Vincent’s Hospital in Melbourne was established in 1893. The founding Sister Administrator was Sister Berchmans Daly who set up the public health service with few resources. The clinical school was begun in 1910 and Sr Berchmans began planning for St Vincent’s Private in 1912.
Sister Fabian Elliott brought St Vincent’s Maternity Hospital and Mount St Evin’s Private Hospital together as St Vincent’s Private in 1972. Sr Fabian was a highly competent hospital administrator, capable fundraiser and healthcare visionary.
In 1998, St Vincent’s Private and Mercy Private merged to form one of Australia’s largest private Catholic hospitals.
The merger created a new, dynamic hospital – St Vincents & Mercy Private – and marked a significant milestone in Catholic healthcare history.
For more than 70 years, two separate religious congregations – the Sisters of Charity and Sisters of Mercy – had run the hospitals independently.
The Sisters founded the hospitals to serve the needs of the sick and disadvantaged in Melbourne. Their vision was to create the most well-equipped hospitals in Australia and promote the Healing Ministry of Christ.
Both hospitals shared a similar history and vision for the future. The merger provided an opportunity to create a new facility, as well as maintain the Sisters’ mission and values.
Furthermore, the acquisition of Vimy Private in June 2008 provided an opportunity for the hospital to consolidate and expand the services it offers to the community.
Today, we are known as St Vincent’s Private Hospital Melbourne and the Sisters’ mission remains at the heart of our organisation. We continue to build our reputation based on our history of leadership in compassionate care, healing and serving people with special needs.
In 2009 the work of the Sisters in health, education and welfare was placed under the trusteeship of Mary Aikenhead Ministries. The trustees consist of members of the Sisters of Charity and lay colleagues. Today all the facilities owned by St Vincent’s Health Australia are governed by Mary Aikenhead Ministries.